
Dear World,
There are so many things wrong with astrology I don't know where to begin. So apparently, I am to believe that the position of the planets and stars in relation to Earth has a direct influence on what will happen to me today? I'd like to dignify this statement with a scientific answer, but I'm pretty sure all stars do is be ridiculously hot and all planets do is collect dust and satellites. And even if they managed to have some pull on our own planet, how me in particular as opposed to that Scorpio guy standing two metres to my left?
To help you understand my biggest hate with astrology, lets take a maths lesson. There are roughly 7 billion people in the world. There are 12 signs of the zodiac. 7 billion divided by 12 is 583.3 million.
So when I open up the newspaper and read that Sagittarians are going to be in financial difficulty this week, apparently the other 583,299,299 others will be too. I'm sure that CEO in Sydney won't suffer too bad, and I'm sure that guy living in the heart of Baghdad is becoming more concerned about his superannuation than the war going on outside his window. For goodness sake, how does a birthdate control your future? Unless you're born on Febuary 29, in which case you can't enter a bar til you're 72. Enough of looking towards the sky, lets bring this nonsense down to sea level.
So... Putting an umbrella up in a house is bad luck. Walking under a ladder is bad luck. Black cats are bad luck. Right. Well not only is that racist towards black cats, it's just plain stupid. Again, I could try for a scientific approach to this. Maybe the black colour soaks up those evil rays Jupiter are spreading? I don't know. How DO you explain this?
Superstitions are terrible because people live by them so strongly, it discourages them from having any freedom in their lives. They might not take risks on a Tuesday because they believe it will kill them quicker or because their boyfriend will leave them - goodness knows why. I have no idea how people can live totally fulfilled lives when they live in fear of the smallest of mishaps.
I find it beyond funny, perhaps concerning, that people structure their lives around objects that they cannot even see. What do you think?
Yours Sincerly,
Alex
I will start by saying...GOLD!!
ReplyDeleteIm impressed with the amount of effort you've gone to with the calcultaions (72, really?) and the best line has to be the racism toward black cats haha
If only Drinkwater could see this, i reckon he'd be pretty impressed!!